Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review: Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Punlisher: Little Brown for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Subformat: Young Adult
Edition: Book II in The Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy
Publish Date:8/1/2010
US/Can Price:$17.99/$21.99
ISBN:9780316034470
The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.

This is the second book in a series of three, the first being Prophecy of the Sisters, which published last year. Since reading it, I've been dying to get on with the series, but isn't that always the way?

I was dreading that this book would be told from Alice's side of the story, being that she is "The Guardian" in this tale, but happily it is still from Lia's point of view. While it would be interesting from Alice's POV, she is such a scary, complex character, I feel more affinity with Lia.

We pick up here not long after Prophecy ended, where Lia and Sonia have gone to England in a search for the third and fourth keys that are needed to fullfil the prophecy. The thing of it is, when there is a year between books and if you don't read the first book all over again, there are things that are forgotten. The prophecy in this seems a bit complicated at times, so I struggled with the implications of certain actions that happened. Don't get me wrong, I very much love this series still! What I'm getting at, though, is that it is definitely not a stand alone novel. (Also, the lack of remembrance may just be my personal issue :-p )

These books are classic Gothic inspired, complete with doppelgangers (the twins, Lia and Alice), that very much reflect the opposite personalities of each other, with a twist. (You have to read the books to discover the twist) For me, Guardian of the Gate was darker than the first book, which is fitting as we work towards the final battle between good and evil.

I was leery of the introduction of Dimitri in this book. I was a big fan of James in Prophecy and didn't want to like Dimitri at all, but now, like Lia, I'm completely torn! What I love about these books....or am anxious to get to in the story....is the connection with the standing stones in Avebury. I'm a sucker for this aspect of British mythology. It will be interesting to see what Michelle Zink does with all of these elements.

I must now wait patiently for book three of this trilogy, The Beast, which will publish in 2011 to see Lia's choice and how this will all play out in the end....and let me tell you, patience is not one of my strong suits! One thing I know for sure is that I will be reading the entire series all over again once it has been completed.

(Note: You may have seen this review on BookloversInc.; this is indeed my review and has been duplicated here and on the other site as I am a contributor there too...no plaigirism involved :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...