Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - Nov. 3, 2009


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly event hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
Here is how it works:
Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share two (2 or 3) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title & author, too, so that others can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser this week comes from The Financial Lives of Poets by Jess Walters and can be found on page 119:

Earl was there to get the county to waive environmental cleanup for a cluster of houses he wanted to put on the site of an old railroad depot. Somehow, Earl got it in his mind that I was on his side in this dispute, because while my stories described him accurately as a voracious fat-ass developer trying to get around reasonable environmental laws, in the profile I called him "bombastic" and Earl took this as a compliment.


So, I'll admit I had to look up the definition of bombastic after reading this teaser. I had only ever heard the word once before, in a song by Shaggy...which turned out to be "Boombastic". Either way, the meaning was far less interesting than I was hoping but, overall, I am enjoying the book. Hope you enjoyed the teaser :-)

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

LOL! This teaser gave me a chuckle. He took that as a complement huh? WOW! Great teaser this week.

If you would like to stop by Ihave my teaser up...
http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Nice teaser - and Bombastic did immediately trigger music in my head as well!

My teaser is up too, and has rippling abs: http://sweetvernalzephyr.blogspot.com/2009/11/tuesday-teaser.html

Jackie said...

Melissa- I thought it was cute but it was maybe the 3rd pick. The book is about a poet that turns to selling drugs, so I wasn't sure the others I landed on would be good to post, lol.

Zephyr- The song has been in my head for the last 24 hours!

Off to check out both of your teasers now...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...