Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: First Step 2 Forever by Justin Bieber


Billed as "100% Official," this very generously illustrated autobiography chronicles the early years and dizzying success of this teen-pop heartthrob in his own words and pictures. The staggering dimensions of his story should silence any skepticism about the worth of any autobiography of a 16-year-old#58; Since being discovered just three years ago, this small-town Ontario boy has gone platinum with his first album; drawn more than 70 million YouTube hits and four million Twitter followers; and caused crowd scenes and near riots on his World Tour. Sometimes just too cute for words.

Before you all collectively roll your eyes at further Justin Bieber exposure, read on to find out why I think this book is a worthwhile investment.

On a typical day, a conversation with my 8 year old daughter goes like this:

Daughter: "Mom, what's Justin Bieber's favourite ice cream?"

Me: "HOW WOULD I KNOW THAT??!"

My dad: "It's chocolate."

Me: How do you know that?!"

My Dad: "I saw it on TV..."

Daughter: "Yay! Same as me!"

So, as much as I would be rolling my own eyes at yet another JB product, I like that fact that I can now say: "go check the book for the answer" to my daughter (and pray that all her questions can be answered by this resource, lol.)

Aside from that, it has tons of great pictures in it AND lots to read. Unfortunately, my daughter is still at the age that she likes to read out loud. This can be a double edged sword in that she will sit down and read First Step 2 Forever for 20-30 minutes at a time (which is great!) but I have to hear it too. Gosh, the things we do for our kids....

It is not at an easy reading level for her but it pushes her skills and her interest in new words (okay, so she has learned sexy and pimp-mobile from it, but those are nothing that she hasn't since seen on public bathroom walls, but that's a story for another day...)

In the end, I think, if your child is a fan, this book is a must-have for their collection, not just to have but to further their interest in reading in a parentally devious way, also ;-)

If you are still unconvinced, here are some sample readings from the book. Enjoy:

2 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

You're an awesome mom sweety!

Jackie said...

Aww, thanks Susi! I do my best :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...