Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Review: Trust Me by Peter Leonard


Let me start by saying, this is not the type of book I would normally read, but it seemed to have a strong female character, so my interest was piqued. When it comes to small time thugs and shylocks and such, I usually watch them in movies. Then, when I learned that Peter Leonard is the son of Elmore Leonard, I was further interested, having seen Get Shorty and Be Cool (incidentally, this is where I learned what the term "shylock" means.)

Within the first few pages, there's an attempted robbery at the home of Lou Starr and his fiance, Karen. This becomes the seed for a plan that Karen has been trying to devise since splitting with her last boyfriend, who kept the $300,000 she had given him to invest. Karen trusted the wrong man and is now looking for a way to get her money back.

As the plan unfolds, we meet Bobby, Samir, Ricky, and O'Clair, among many others, each person looking for their piece of the proverbial pie. The book twists and winds you through everyones story, while not losing you in it. It's fast paced and anything but boring. Within a paragraph or two, the author is able to easily describe the players involved while maintaining the flow of the story and you are kept guessing about what will happen next, as this cast of wayward criminals run rampant through Detroit and Chicago.

From the first page, I was hooked! Peter Leonard has created situations and characters that I could visualize with ease. There are gruesome acts, acts of kindness, and lots of humour. I definitely look forward to seeing more from Peter Leonard in the future and won't hesitate to pick up this type of story again.

For more information on Peter Leonard and his books, check out his website here: PeterLeonardBooks.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...