Tuesday, August 9, 2011

2nd Blogoversary Celebration - Day 2





Welcome to day 2 of the week long celebration for my 2nd year blogging anniversary! I've gathered a few of my book loving friends this week to stop by and share with me their must reads...you know, the ones they are always telling me about but I just haven't been able to squeeze in yet?! Today, Melissa from My World...in words and pages is here. Melissa and I have worked on a few book club reads together this year and we're always chatting about our mutual lack of time to read, lol. Today, she's going to share her version of the 5 Urban Fantasy reads I should read (when I finally have the time): 

Thank you for inviting me over to chat about Urban Fantasy must reads. :) I love sharing books with friends, and learning about so many new ones too! I worked on coming up with ONLY 5 Urban Fantasy reads, I think would be wonderful reads for you. And boy was this a tough one. There are so many great books out there. You have read many great sounding ones (which have been added to my TBR pile or WANT list) and there are so many great ones out there that neither of us have touched on yet. But, only 5 is a hard number. But I narrowed it down as best I could. :)
So here we go in no particular order...


 ~ Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler - This series is just plan fun. And there is a great story too. I found myself loving the mystery and story and the fun of the characters an the men as well. One to make you smile.
~ Mind Games by Carolyn Crane - This is a great original trilogy. Of course at this moment only the first 2 books are out. The third will be out in early 2012. I LOVED the "magic" setup here, the mental distresses of people. It is such an inventive way and the story is amazing!
~ Dead, Undead or Somewhere In Between by J.A. Saare - The main character here, Rhiannan, is a strong headed girl. She does have a strong mouth too, but I really enjoyed this character and the way of the story. If you don't mind the language, I think you would enjoy the main character and the her story into the dead world.

~ Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells - Sabina is a rough main character as well, half vampire half mage. But the story is fun with her side kick and the hot mage she meets. Another fun read with fast pacing and loads of action.
~ Bloodlines by Skyla Dawn Cameron - Yeah, we have our vampire here. But I love the take on vampirism here along with the story we get. This poor girl doesn't seem to get a break. And the action follows her around, or maybe she finds it.... But the characters and storyline are great!

Okay, there are 5. I could go on forever for sure. If anyone wants any suggestions I'm always willing to give them. :)

Do hope you enjoy!

And happy Blog Anniversary! :)

Thanks again, Melissa, for stopping by and contributing to my growing TBR. Nicole Peeler is at the top of my "must purchase" list, but I'm sure I'll be adding even more to that scary pile :-p

And, to my awesome readers, remember to stop by each day to see what's up next and what surprises I'll have in store (especially on Friday ;) Please feel free to comment with more suggestions of great UF reads...

19 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hey Jackie! :) Thank you for having me by! :)

Oh, I'm curious to see what anyone what suggestions others have. I could always use with adding to the WANT list and TBR pile. ;D

Congrats and happy blog birthday! Here's to many many more!

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Melissa :) And Jackie :D

Well I am sure you know what I would suggest M, Rachel Vincent and patricia Briggs for sure, oh and Kelly Gay

Bastard said...

The Dresden Files - Butcher
Kate Daniels - Andrews
Connor Grey - del Franco
The Irond Druid Chronicles - Hearne
Joe Pitt Casebooks - Huston

I think the above list would resonate fairly well with male readership.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Blodeuedd - Oh, I want to try Rachel Vincent, and I have Patricia Briggs books here to get too, and Did enjoy Kelly Gay. And looking forward to the third book here. ;)

Bastard - Hey! I'm getting caught up here. I have the first Dresden Files book and now the first Kate Daniels book. And Thanks to Jackie's past giveaway I have 2 of the 3 books of Hearne (which sound like amazing reads I would LOVE). I've looked at del Franco's books, but haven't picked them up yet. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

Happy two years Jackie!!

I forgot about Nicole Peeler's series, that was supposed to be super! Thanks for the reminder Melissa.

luanne said...

Sorry I am late. I would also suggest the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. I have read the first 2 in the series and loved them.

Jackie said...

@Blodeuedd - Hi! *waves* I've never heard of Kelly Gay; I'll have to look into her. I recently read one Briggs, but need to go back to the beginning of the Mercy Thompson books, I think. Thanks for coming by :)

@Bastard - I seriously feel there should be more men on the book blogging scene. Both Butcher and Hearne are fantastic. I'm working my way through both series' right now :) Thanks for the list!

@Mel - I've chatted with Nicole on Twitter, she seems very nice. And Melissa says her books are great. She's convinced me, lol. You know I wouldn't have made the two years without your help :) Thanks! (that doesn't express it enough...perhaps, I'll make a cheesecake?)

@Melissa - Suggestions can be very scary; be careful what you wish for ;) I have to go on a shopping spree soon. Nicole Peeler is tops on the list. Thanks, again, for helping me celebrate!

Jackie said...

@luanne - Oh! I've never heard of that one. Will check it out. And you're right on time for the party, lol.

Mel said...

I'd have to second the Dresden files. The Felix Castor series by Mike Carey is great too. Also suggest any Laura Bickle books and Karen Chance as well. There are loads - I think I could do a summary of 20 UF series worth reading! :)

And Jackie - congrats on your two years - I'm a new follower! :)

Jackie said...

@Mel - I'm totally enamored with Harry Dresden. I'm getting great rec's here; some new names for me to check out. Thanks for the follow!

Bastard said...

October Daye is a pretty good series. Didn't like much of the 2nd and 3rd book, but the first one was really good, and the 4th one took the series to a whole new level for me. Very much worth the look since McGuire is a very good writer, and her Newsflesh under Mira Grant also gets a lot of praises.

Diana Rowland also deserves a mention her Kara Gillian series is good (though has a lot of elements I don't like) and the White Trash Zombie one is good and quite promising.

Jackie said...

@Bastard - I've heard great things about White Trash Zombie. It's time to take a closer look, I think. Thanks again for adding more suggestions!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Let's see... to add to everyone's list:
Jeaniene Frost Night Huntress Series
Jennifer Estep Elemental Assassin Series

Melissa... such a good list. Loved meeting Nicole Peeler! She rocks!!

Jackie said...

@Melissa (Books and Things) - I have the first Jeaniene Frost book on audio, patiently waiting for me to start listening, lol. I've heard good things about Estep too. Ah, so many books, so little time... Thanks for the additions!

Anonymous said...

Limiting yourself to 5 on a list about books is a tough task. But it looks like you got the cream of the crop of UF, Melissa.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Mel (He Folloerd Me Home) - Oh, So glad I could remind you of Nicole Peeler's books. :) I really thought they where so fun. They are set in the Urban Fantasy setting, but they are just fun too.

Luanne - So glad you stopped by! And you aren't late at all. Oh, you know I've heard great things of Seanan McGuire and I need to get that series as well. Thank you!

Jackie - Suggestions are scary, as I start to realize how many books I have TO read and WANT to read. So many great books out there! And I do hope you enjoy Nicole's books when you get them. :)

Mel - You are another one that reminds me of the Dresden Files off and on. I really need to get to these. And I have Laura Bickle's first 2 books here to read. I'm hoping very soon. :) And Karen Chance is in my want list too! Oh boy, I can't keep up with these books! lol. thank you!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Bastard - You are the one who keeps reminding me of October Daye series and the Dresden files. I really need to get to them. And I didn't realize McGuire had a second pen name too. Thanks! Oh yes, Kara Gillian is on my WANT list too. I've been hearing great things on White Trash Zombie. I wasn't sure if it was one for me with not knowing much about it. But the more I hear the more I think I would enjoy it too.

Melissa (Books&Things) - lol. You are killing me with the Jennifer Estep books! I have the first 2 or 3 here, and NEED to get to them. And Jeaniene Frost is on the list. Oh, and so glad you met Nicole! She really is a wonderful person, and SOOOO much fun. lol

StephanieD - Thank you! It is so hard to pick out of all the great books I've read. Now if I had to pick in another week, would I pick the same ones? Hmmm, that I don't want to answer. ;D Thank you!

WonderBunny said...

I second all the of recommendations for Mike Carey, Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs and Seanan McGuire. Love the books those authors are writing. I am currently enjoying the newest book in the Jane True series so I think all the authors I'd recommend are covered.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hey WonderBunny! Sorry I didn't get by last night, blogger was being moody. :) But I have the first books here for Jim Butcher and Patricia Briggs. I need to get Seanan McGuire and more time to read all these books! ;D lol. Thank you so much for stopping by! And I hope you are loving the new Jane True book. I have the new one here and the one before it to get to yet. Yeah, I'm a bad reader. ;) Thank you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...