Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Interview with Tish Cohen, author of "Switch"

A little while ago, I had the pleasure of reading and reviewing Switch by Tish Cohen (you can read my review here). Ironically, the same week I finished reading the book, I ran into Tish at a book launch for Lesley Livingston...ok, I'll stop with the shameless name dropping now :) I stopped Tish while she was (probably) on her way to the Ladies' room, but she was gracious enough to chat with me for a little while. (I still find it a bit overwhelming how book blogging has started to make me feel a little less fan girlie ...though not by too much :-p )

In the meantime, I had interview questions out there in cyber space about Tish and her latest book. I have the answers here, so without any further preamble, please help me welcome Ms. Cohen today:

(Note: Switch released here in Canada on May 9th but will be releasing next week in other countries).

Jackie - Can you tell the readers a little of what we'll find in the pages of Switch?

Tish - Switch is all about learning to recognize what, in our lives, is good and valuable. Andrea Birch is having a rough time being the only biological daughter of parents who take in many foster children. Because Andrea's parents view her own troubles are seen as minor in comparison to those of her foster siblings, she wishes she could switch lives with a girl she perceives as much luckier.

J - On your website, you tell a poignant tale of the girl that inspired parts on Inside Out Girl.  Where did you find inspiration for the characters in Switch?

T- I read an article in London's Daily Mail about a woman who lived a life much like Andrea's--she grew up with 35 foster siblings. She inspired the character of Andrea.

J -  From The Prince and the Pauper to Freaky Friday, the idea of switching lives seems a recurring theme. Why do you think this notion appeals to so many people? 

T - Maybe I'm just strange, but I used to fantasize about switching lives with my friends for a day. What would it be like to be inside someone else's life? That fascinated me.

J - You are very forthright about your resistance to start writing. Do you have any tips for burgeoning writers that might help them overcome this same obstacle?

T - Everyone is fantastically good at something. Find your something and, as Stephen King says, do it until your fingers bleed.

J - When writing a novel, how much of your characters' lives or personality are a reflection of your own (if any)?

T - Very few characters or lives are based on mine, but every book contains little episodes or dramas from my life.

J - Have you started your next project yet? If so, could we have a hint?

T - I am writing my next adult novel: The Search Angel

I want to thank Ms. Cohen once again for taking the time to answer my questions. And I'd like to add that if you have a chance to read Switch, I think it had a great message, delivered with equal measures of fun and reality :)

1 comments:

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

I love the idea of switching - a nice way to find out that the grass in NOT always greener on the other side ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...