Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Review: Fade by Lisa McMann (Wake, book 2)



Simon Pulse, February 2009
Hardcover, 256 pages
ISBN-10: 1416953582
ISBN-13: 9781416953586
Ages: 14 and up
Grades: 9 and up


Fade is the second book in the Wake Series by Lisa McMann (for my review of Wake, click here). I must admit, I didn't love this book as much as the first. The "case" that Janie and Cabel were put on this time just seemed a little on the lame side to me.

I did not let this deter me though. I still very much liked the way the book is written, in short, time-stamped entries. It makes things flow faster without a whole lot of fluff filler.

The part in this story that kept me interested in the series is the personal struggle of Janie and the potential effects her "talent" will have on her future. It's a topic that hits close to home for me, so I may have been more open and sympathetic to her plight than the "average reader". (Her vision issues, I mean, not her ability to jump into peoples dreams....I can't do that, lol.)

Overall, I felt this book was more of a bridge between the first and third novels, so it lacked a bit of the "wow factor" that I got from Wake. It is still a must read, if you plan on reading the third in the series, Gone, and I do still recommend Lisa McMann's books wholeheartedly.

4 comments:

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

Ooooh I just finished this too :) I totally agree, a must read for the series but wasn't as addictive as Wake or Gone.

Alexia561 said...

The more I hear about this series, the more I want to read it! The middle book in a trilogy usually isn't the strongest, so wouldn't let that deter me. Good review!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Great review! I enjoyed it. I have to get to these books at some time in the future. Thanks!

Jackie said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by. I do recommend all of the books as quick, entertaining reads.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...