Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nicole Reviews: He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott


Ally Ryan, come on down to the Jersey Shore and forget your troubles!

Have you recently been humiliated in front of your friends and family at your former best friend's birthday party? Was your almost boyfriend partly responsible for that humiliation by withholding some vital information about where your estranged father is? Did you come home to find said estranged father sitting on your stoop?

If so, then it sounds like you could use a vacation! The Jersey Shore is the place to be. Your mother may be living with her boyfriend of only a few months, but at least the stunt Shannen pulled has put some of your friends back in your court. Even so, you're still angry and what better way to get over Jake than to blow off some steam with local guy, Cooper? People will hardly recognize your new attitude, but the old one wasn't getting you anywhere, so who cares!

Jake Graydon, an exciting opportunity is waiting for you in the service industry!

Are your grades so low your parents have grounded you for the summer? Did you the girl you really like unceremoniously leave you behind? Would you rather eat dirt than see your friends again? Then a job at the local coffee shop is just the ticket! Surprisingly, Ally's father is the new manager so you get to be reminded of her nearly every day. Maybe it's time to start flirting with your best friend's ex or even taking school a bit more seriously. Especially when you finally see Ally and she's hanging around with some loser and it's couldn't be more clear that she is over you.

Have a great summer!

Available at Amazon, Book Depository

A little while ago, I introduced you to my friend, Nicole (her first review is here). She enjoyed the reading/reviewing part so much I got her to agree to come on board for more! So, as I gently mould her into a book reviewer, lol, I gave her a few things to think about as she read He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott. Here's what she had to say:

When I was half finished the book, Jackie told  me that this was the second book in the series.  I don't feel that reading the first book is a necessity, but it may help.  At times, it felt like the author expected me to know the characters history, and how the previous plot twisted and turned. (Jackie interprets this as: First book would be a big asset in understanding this book also)  It may have helped me to connect more with the characters.  With saying that, the author left it VERY open for the third book.  I feel that it is a MUST to read this book before moving onto the third.

Thinking about the characters, I really enjoyed Annie, the field journal girl. She had a significant part without being one of the main characters.  Annie brought humour and a sense of normalacy to the story.  I feel that the main characters were flighty, with not much depth.  Annie was the show stopper and a lot of fun!

As far as my ability to relate to the story,  I think that every adult can relate to one issue or another from when we were teenagers. High school is a time in your life when you are to discover things about yourself.  Everyone has had a backstabbing friend, a horrible breakup, the usuall relationship up and downs, and most of all the drama with the parents.  One part that I could not relate to was the upper class living.  These kids had the fancy cars, the beach houses, diamonds and the parties.  But... that is what a book is supposed to do.  Show you a world unlike your own- a place to escape.  That was the world that we all watched on TV, and now I have read it in this book.  That was a world we wished we were in, in one point of our teenage years or another.

The pacing of the story always left me waiting for something to happen.  When I started to put all the pieces together, it seemed to take a long time to get to the point.  There was a love triangle, maybe a square. (Scratch that.. many love connections and hopeful connections.) Then there was the adult (parent) drama in the mix.  There were many things happening, but nothing big happened.  The field journal kept your eyes on everyone.( I really enjoyed that part-- but I'm nosey ;))  Then all of the sudden the last 5 pages changed everything, and the last paragraph hits you. I found the book to be slow paced, but I think the following book may hit you hard at the beginning and keep going to the end.

A good read- all in all.

Nicole

Thanks, again, Nicole, for helping me out! And I'm sure my readers haven't seen the last of you yet ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...